Most people familiar with using hot mix asphalt for paving or repair of pavement are familiar with the use of tack coat. A tack coat is a very light application of asphaltic emulsion or asphalt binder to an existing pavement surface or between layers of hot mix asphalt. Asphalt tack coat is used to ensure a good bond:
- Between the existing pavement surface and the new hot mix asphalt overlay, including planed surfaces.
- Between the layers of each lift of hot mix asphalt.
- At any vertical surfaces that the new hot mix asphalt will be placed against (curbs, gutters, and construction joints).
Tack coats should be applied uniformly across the entire pavement surface and result in more than about 90% surface coverage. In order for this uniformity to be consistently achieved, all aspects of the application must be considered and carefully controlled. Specific aspects are:
- the condition of the pavement surface receiving the tack coat
- the application rate
- type of tack coat according to standard DOT specifications
- QPR’s Tack2O is a cationic emulsified or water based product which works great in warm temperatures and is friendlier for the environment. It is slow setting which increases the time between application and paving and also allows for greater workability. Its low viscosity helps to fill cracks and grooves in the existing pavement. Tack2O is less sensitive to high humidity that parts of the country can experience during the summer months. It can also be used as a driveway sealer and performs quite well in that role. During the green movement of the last several years any products containing an oil base are slowly being phased out which is why QPR and our partner Hammaker East materials developed an eco friendly product. QPR and our partners are committed to environmental sustainability through smarter technologies.
- RC Tack is a premium rapid cure asphalt cutback. It is an oil based product which is better suited for cooler temperatures and will not freeze or “stiffen up”. It is usable year round and will cure rapidly once applied. Like the Tack2O, this product can also be used as driveway sealer.
With any product that is new to the market the real test comes from the end users and in this case the response has been great.
“QPR has produced a great product, from the packaging to the quality of the material inside each pail they have really come out with a top notch tack coat.” – Scott Croney, Independence Construction Materials.
“I have used QPR’s tack on several of my jobs and it has performed above my expectations in every case. The material never separates and pours out of the pail with no issues every time.” – Jerry Johnson, Johnson Brothers Paving
Contact your QPR representative today for more information on our tack coat. We have options for resale as well, should you want to sell tack coat at your asphalt plant. Call today!